How to Make Your Parents Happy in 4 Easy Steps
How to Make Your Mother Happy
It can sometimes be hard to think of ways to make your mom happy beyond the obvious things such as flowers and gifts. While these things are nice, and most moms would not turn them down, there are many other ways you can show your mom that you care about her. Happiness is a very personal thing and varies dramatically from person to person, so you may need to experiment with several of these techniques before you find what makes your own mom the happiest.
Connecting With Your Mom Through Communication
Show your mom that you care.One way to make someone feel valued is to show interest in them: who they are, what they’ve experienced, and what they think about. Asking your mom about her life will offer you the chance to connect with her, and will make her feel happy that you’re interested in what she has to say.
Ask your mom how she’s feeling.Moms are just like anyone else: they need people to talk to. Asking your mom how she’s feeling shows that you’re paying attention to her and that you care about her happiness; that will probably make her very happy.
- For example, if you notice that she seems stressed, you could say something like this: “You seem really stressed right now, Mom. Are you okay?”
- Asking your mom about her day is another good way to engage with her. She probably asks you about what you did that day; why not return the favor?
Send her a quick text.Even small acts of kindness have big payoffs. Sending your mom a quick text during the day says you’re thinking about her, and will make her feel appreciated and special. The more people feel cared for, the happier they tend to be.
- You don’t have to write a novel to make an impact. Even a short “Hi Mom! I hope your day is going well” is enough to show that you care about your mom’s happiness.
Apologize when you know you've done something wrong.Sometimes it’s really hard to apologize to your mom, especially if you feel like she’s on your case a lot. However, apologizing when you’re wrong and taking responsibility for your actions will strengthen your relationship and make your mom feel loved.
- Good apologies incorporate the “3 R’s”:regret,responsibility, andremedy. This means you:
- Express regret for the hurt you caused.
- Take responsibility for your actions, without making excuses.
- Offer a remedy; a suggestion for what you’ll do differently next time.
- For example, if your mom points out that you forgot to take out the trash again, say something like “I’m sorry I forgot to take out the trash. I know that meant more work for you. I’ll put a reminder in my phone for Wednesdays so I remember next time.”
- Good apologies incorporate the “3 R’s”:regret,responsibility, andremedy. This means you:
Put yourself in her shoes.It can sometimes feel like your mom is your best friend one day and your prison warden the next. Instead of just thinking to yourselfWhy can't she do it?, try imagining what it would be like to be in her position. Exercising your empathy muscles isn't just good for your mom, it's good for you, too.
- For example, if she asked you about your day and you shrugged her off instead of talking, that might have hurt her feelings. If you’re too busy to talk at that moment, express that clearly by saying something like “Sorry, but I have a lot of homework to finish right now, Mom. Is it okay if we can talk later?” This shows that you do care about connecting with her, even if you can’t do it right then.
- Moms can do things that embarrass you; in fact, sometimes it can feel like they specialize in it! Try to imaginewhyyour mom is doing what she’s doing. It could be that she’s babying you because she wants you to feel secure, not because she thinks you’re immature. And hey, you can alwaysask herwhy she’s doing what she does.
Develop some inside jokes and references.You probably have a lot of hilarious jokes with your friends, right? Maybe you went to see a movie one time and mispronounced a character’s name, so now it’s funny whenever you bring up that mispronunciation. Having that kind of “secret” humor just between you and your mom will help strengthen your bond and make both of you feel secure and happy in your relationship.
Demonstrating Your Appreciation Through Actions
Make or buy a personal gift for her.Gifts mean more when they show that you put some time and effort into them. They don’t have to be expensive, either; anything that shows that you took the time to think about what would make your mom happy will mean so much.
Leave her a note in her lunch.Maybe your mom always slipped a note into your lunch telling you that she loves you and always will. Why not try it out yourself? You can even pack her lunch for her and leave it in the fridge so she doesn’t have to do a thing in the morning.
Introduce your mom to your friends.Sure, it can be embarrassing to bring your friends home to your mom. You never know if she’s going to try to haul out your baby pictures or talk about that “cute” thing you did when you were five. However, making your mom feel involved in your life will remind her that you care about her -- even when she’s embarrassing you.
Help your mom around the house.Doing chores can be stressful and a huge drain on time. Take some of the pressure off your mom by helping out with things you’re able to do. This works even better if you surprise her; for example, if she gets home from work and finds all the dishes done already, she’ll be really happy.
Make a meal for her.Getting dinner together can be incredibly stressful. If you know your mom is having a busy week, tell her you’d like to cook dinner one night. Even if you can’t do it all yourself, offer to help her in the kitchen. You’ll learn some sweet cooking skills and get to spend quality time together.
- Breakfast in bed is a tried-and-true classic. While many people save it for Mother’s Day. The truth is that your mom will probably appreciate breakfast in bed on any weekend!
- Take time to figure out what her favorite foods are and make them for her. If she likes something that’s too complicated for you, or that you don’t know how to make, ask her to teach you how to make it a few weeks before you want to make it for her.
Take on more responsibility for yourself.It can be incredibly stressful and time-consuming for your mom to manage everyone’s schedules, especially if you are part of a large family. Keeping up with your appointments and outings on your own will help take the burden off your mom. A mom with less stress is a mom with more happiness!
Spend time with your mom.Ask to hang out, just the two of you. Suggest you see a movie that you know she’s really excited about. You can offer to play video games with her or just go on a walk; the important thing is to show that you’re interested in spending time with her.
- Outings don’t even have to cost anything. For example, if you’re both animal lovers, suggest that you and your mom go to the local animal shelter and play with the animals. Many rescue animals need socialization, so in addition to making your mom happy, you’ll also be helping cats, dogs, and the occasional ferret.
Remember important dates.Nothing makes a mom feel more special than her children remembering her birthday or anniversary. Send her a heartfelt letter, card, or e-card that expresses how much she means to you.
- To help you remember important dates, put them into your phone’s calendar. If you’re friends with your mom on Facebook, for example, the site will remind you about her upcoming birthday.
- Even if you’ve moved out on your own, you can still do a lot of these things to bring a smile to your mom’s face. Staying in touch with texts, calls, and even messages on social media can help your mom feel connected to you.
- While grand gestures are also great, it’s the little day-to-day things that help people feel appreciated and loved. These usually don’t cost much, but the rewards they bring is priceless.
- Make her a homemade gift. She will love it.
- Concentrating in school and getting good grades will make your mom happy; a lot of mothers worry about whether or not their child is getting a good education.
- Give her a hug and tell her how much you love her!
- Tell her that you love her for who she is and what she always does for you.
- You can do anything for her without her telling you at all.
- Do things without your mom asking!
- Clean up and do your chores even without your mom asking you.
- If she's embarrassing you in front of your friends, talk to her about it afterwards. Don't shout and be disrespectful!
- Clean your room and show her you are responsible. Your mother always tell you to clean your room. Why not clean it before she tells you?
- Don't argue about little things.
- Make dinner or watch your sister or brother if you are older than them.
- Most moms shout a lot. If this is your mom then just ask her to calm down and then give her a hug and kiss.
- Show her you care don't let her do everything herself. Help her more often!
- Thank her once in a while and give her a hug. Even moms need a break sometimes.
- Get fit. Showing her that your not a lazy person can get you respect.
- When your mom is really tired and stressed out try cleaning up the house, doing the laundry, cooking, taking care of younger siblings and also make her a cup of tea and bring whatever snack your mom loves with the tea, and let her watch her favorite show or movie alone unless she says she wants company.
- Tell your mother that you will always support her and be there when she needs help and support.
Sources and Citations
In other languages:
Deutsch: , Italiano: , Português: , Français: , Русский: , Español: , Bahasa Indonesia: , العربية:
About This Article
Jun 15, 2019
Oct 25, 2019
Apr 18, 2019
May 9, 2019
Jul 26, 2019
Aug 3, 2019
Nov 14, 2019
Aug 21, 2019
Jun 17, 2019
Jul 21, 2019
Oct 18, 2019
Jul 26, 2019
Dec 22, 2019
Aug 5, 2019
Nov 28, 2019
Aug 18, 2019
Jul 27, 2019
Jun 14, 2019
Jun 23, 2019
Jul 19, 2019
Jul 30, 2019
Apr 13, 2019
Aug 27, 2019
Video: You will LOVE your MOTHER more after watching this video
Why Get Married Not For Money, That’s For Sure
What Happens to Your Body When Youre in Ketosis
How To Stop Mum Guilt’ From Holding You Back
5 Ways Youre Doing Ab Exercises Wrong
How to Decrystallize Honey
My Lovers Wife Is OK With Our Affair
YSL Eyes Summer 2019 Makeup Collection
Steph Curry says Trump is an asset, but only if you remove the -et
3 Things You Never Knew About SmokeyEyes
DC weed group to hand out 4,200 joints, light up at 4:20 during Trumps inauguration speech