Is your bathroom design lacking? With heaps of bathroom images and inspiration out there, there’s no shortage of modern bathroom ideas or unique bathroom styles to get those creative juices flowing.
To help inspire your bathroom at home, we asked two interior experts for their top tips on bathroom tile ideas, advice on decorating bathrooms, small bathroom basins and much more.
Here, bathroom retailer expert Josh Mammoliti, from The Blue Space, and former bathroom and home buyer Jess Ormsby, from, share all their hints, tips and tricks for new bathroom ideas.
Splurge on a shower head
If you’re considering a new bathroom shower design, make sure you start with your shower head.
“Dual shower heads are a must even in small bathrooms,” says Josh. “Consider a dual shower on a rail that can be installed in your traditional spot with one inlet so it won’t cost you extra.”
For bathroom shelving, Josh says shower recesses or niches are by far one of the most practical and most used bathroom shelf ideas.
Bigger is always better when it comes to showers. Photo: James Geer/Thomas Archer
At realestate.com.au/Lifestyle HQ, we love a hot new , particularly those that are a little fun and different. And what better way to get creative at home than with your bathroom wall.
Jess agrees and says she loves seeing modern bathrooms that incorporate fun wallpaper designs.
“One of my favourite wallpaper suppliers is Sparkk; you can choose any of their designs and basically customise them to suit your colour palette,” she says.
“The best way to pull off wallpaper in any room in your house is to stick to a theme such as Hamptons or Art Deco – that way it’s not a huge shock when entering your bathroom.”
Wallpaper is welcomed in the bathroom. Picture: Mindi Cooke
Tiling has officially taken off and there’s an array of stunning, vibrant and classic bathroom tile designs out there. And, yes, you can even extend the trend to your bathroom floor tiles.
We asked Jess what bathroom tile ideas she’s loving right now:
“Terracotta is definitely one of my favorites,” says Jess. “I think they look best when laid in a herringbone pattern. I’m also really loving modern bathroom designs that feature blush colour tiles; they look best paired with brass or copper tapware and timber finishes.”
Blush-coloured tiles, like this Norwegian Rose marble tile, are all the rage in modern bathroom designs. Picture: Teranova Tiles
Tip: “Terracotta can be quite porous so you will need to apply a protective seal over the top when used in the bathroom,” says Jess.
Check out what brothers Shannon and Simon Vos think are the hottest bathroom tile designs and ideas this year:
An anything-but-basic basin
If you have classic bathroom designs 2018 a small bathroom, Josh recommends opting for a semi-recessed basin.
“These basins hang out over the vanity unit allowing you to have the practicality of a full basin on a narrower vanity when a full-sized vanity can’t be squeezed in,” he says.
Country-style bathroom vanities are proving popular right now, and Josh recommends using shaker-style doors to achieve this look.
“These doors feature enough detail to define the style, but won’t give it an aged country look. Also consider your door hardware; rounded brass or brushed gold is a perfect choice to match your tapware selection.”
These Candana finishing touches pop against the marble in this Surry Hills home. Picture: Renato D’Ettorre Architects
The dos and don’ts of bathroom design
Here, Jess shares her top dos and don’ts when it comes to decorating bathrooms.
- Add some greenery, such as small succulents on the window or hanging planters. If you’re looking for bathroom renovation ideas, try and include a big window where you can add some greenery.
- Consider large bathroom windows as this is one of the biggest trends we’re seeing this year. Imagine the serenity of relaxing in a bath while still feeling like you have nature surrounding you.
- I love different types of bathroom shelving ideas, whether that be through a leaning wall ladder which you can hang your towels off or also hanging round shelves.
- Keep your favourite beauty products styled on a nice stone tray/dish; this will keep them looking neat and tidy.
Big windows let the sunshine in! Picture: The Blue Space
- Keep your make-up displayed on the vanity bench top as it tends to look messy. Instead, try hiding it away in a drawer or keep inside a zip-up make-up bag.
- Decorate with bar soaps and other types of bath crystals lined up around your bath or basin. This is so the ’90s and as much as I love anything that takes me back to the ’90s, this isn’t one of them.
- Keep your toilet paper on a rod. This is another bathroom design look that’s extremely dated; it’s far better when stored away in a storage basket.
Liven up your bathroom with some lush greenery. Picture: Denise Braki
Discover all the coolest bathroom ideas around Australia and popular design trends in 2017:
Awesome girls rooms 2018
Old fashioned wedding dress 2018
New engagement rings 2018
Black maternity dresses 2018
The messy updo hairstyle 2018
Foto nail art 2018 ( photo )